Tuesday, July 5, 2022

The Broad

While attending Anime Expo, I took a couple of hours to visit the Broad Museum. I took the AX shuttle to the Kawada Hotel, which is just a short walk up the hill to the Broad.

Many people seemed amazed and incredulous that there would be a maid walking around downtown and going to the museum, and some of them would come up to talk to me, or ask for pictures with me.

Unfortunately the Murakami exhibit was sold out for the weekend, but the rest of the museum can be visited for free.

The regular collection at the Broad is exhibited on the third floor, and is accessed by escalator, stairs, or a futuristic lift. The second floor has administrative offices, a meeting room, and bathrooms.



Upon reaching the third floor, you'll see a mirror-finished stainless steel installation by Jeff Koons.

Tulips








Additional works by Koons are exhibited in a separate room.

Rabbit

Balloon Dog (Blue)


Michael Jackson and Bubbles

Off in one corner of the museum in its own room is a work by Rober Therrien.

Under The Table

Yours truly for scale.

In another corner of the museum is an infinity mirror installation by Yayoi Kusama. There are three portholes in the mirrored box which can be used to view the LED display within. Visitors queue in line, and are given a couple of minutes to look inside before the next group gets their turn.

Longing for Eternity

I didn't know what to expect with the box, so I wasn't prepared to take video of the inside. Later I was able to see the larger infinity mirror room, but forgot to press the record button on my phone so I don't have anything to show for that either.

Works by big name artists also have their own rooms in the museum.

The art by Andy Warhol include iconic pop art pieces in addition to more traditional pieces.

Small Torn Campbell's Soup Can (Pepper Pot)
Campbell's Soup Can (Clam Chowder—Manhattan Style)
[Ferus Type]

Where is your Rupture? [1]

The museum has quite a few of the graffiti influenced neo-expressionist pieces by Jean‐Michel Basquiat on display in its collection.

Beef Ribs Longhorn

With Strings Two

There is also lots of comic-derived pop art by Roy Lichtenstein.

I... I'm Sorry!

Live Ammo (Blang)

Another section featured the visceral silhouette artworks by Kara Walker portraying arson, cannibalism, sex, and other acts of dubious nature (sorry about the picture quality).

African't

Last are a couple of pieces I liked in particular.

Black Painting I by Cecily Brown

Infinite Expansion by Mike Kelley

Detail at center


No comments:

Post a Comment